Late Start 2/19/20

Patti Donnelly

So my school does these things called late starts and you probably know what that means. We have them once a month, and this post is about February’s. So on late start days, there are no classes, so we do other stuff. Yeah. So this time we had a visiting author and then we went to the Nasher. The author’s name was Scott Reintgen (pronounced Rankin if you want to know). He has written several books, including the middle grade novel Saving Fable, as well as the Nyxia series, and his newest series, Ashlords. That’s the one he told us about. He has already written the second book, called Blood Sworn, but it’s not out yet. He was really funny. I’ll explain the book if you want to know. It was really good. I read it in like three days. Not that high a bar for me but still. Anyways, you know how we have the Olympics? I’m going to assume you do. So in the world in Ashlords, their Olympics are the Races, where they races these magical horses called Phoenixes. I’m also going to hope you know what Phoenixes are. So basically, like a regular Phoenix, they die at the end of the day (not all bird Phoenixes die at that time) every day, and turn into ashes. BUT, there’s a twist. WoAh. You can put these different powders in the ashes that make different kinds of horses. So you could have a glowing horse, or a horse with spikes on its shoulders. It was really good.

Okay, moving on to the Nasher. To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of art museums, which you might think is weird because I love art. I like making it, not spending five hours analyzing other people’s work. The Nasher was interesting but a little weird. We looked at all these old paintings, and then some new paintings, and then some 3D stuff. There was this really weird sculpture that had sort of a whale head and the hole things was made of buttons. I think it was a costume. I feel like it would’ve been really heavy though. Then we went back to school and went home. NOPE! We watched Hidden Figures in Madame Moore’s room. She teaches French so we call her Madame. It means Mrs. Well anyways, I had a fun time that late start, even if the Nasher was kind of boring. For me, at least. I would definitely recommend Ashlords and Scott Reintgen in general to everyone, especially if you enjoy fantasy. Leave a reply please!